Thought-provoking presentations provide fresh ideas and new insights.
We were thrilled to attend the recent Archive and Records Association (ARA) Annual Conference in Belfast earlier this month.
This was our first time attending this event and it was a fantastic opportunity to meet and learn from so many like-minded peers.
Our very own Records Management Expert, Company Director and Information Management Consultant here at Metataxis, Noeleen Schenk was there, in both the roles of delegate and speaker. She shares her experience and notable highlights below:
The Archive and Records Association (ARA) Annual Conference was a really enjoyable event. I got to attend many thought-provoking presentations and have come away professionally revived – buzzing with fresh thoughts and new insights to bring to our own client work.
As an information manager, focused on current information and records, I am in awe of the work our archival colleagues undertake. I heard some remarkable stories how lost or nearly lost archives were rescued, how to catalogue archives to facilitate access, and how we can interpret archival content to further enhance our understanding of the past – these sessions were truly fascinating.
Key takeaways from the Archive and Records Association (ARA) Conference
- It is shocking to learn how many organisations and institutions do not value archives or consider their community memory
- Archivists are exceedingly proactive in engaging with their communities
- I will visit and view exhibitions in a whole new light and with much more appreciation
- We, as a profession, need to engage with archival colleagues so much more
- Archivists should be involved from the start of the record creation, and not just at the end of the life cycle
- Archivists are actively engaged with the management, preservation and interpretation of their records, while as information managers, we typically operate at a more arms length, providing guidance and policy at a macro rather than micro level.
It was great to be amongst such friendly delegates, hearing everyone talking with real joy and enthusiasm and to be part of such a shared passion for records management.
We look forward to seeing you there next year!
Learn more about how we support organisations with records management.